The Combined Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) exam is conducted by the Staff Selection Commission (SSC) for recruitment of various clerical posts in Government organizations. The SSC CHSL is conducted in three tiers. Tier I is an online exam, tier II is descriptive exam and tier III is computer proficiency or skill test. Tier I will be conducted between 04.03.2018 to 26.03.2018 and tier II is held on 08.07.2018.
Before we get tips for SSC CHSL exam, let us know the pattern of the exam.
SSC CHSL exam pattern:
SSC CHSL Tier I exam pattern:
|Section||Subject||No of Questions||Max. marks||Exam Duration|
|1||General Intelligence and reasoning||25||50||
Tier II pattern:
This is a descriptive test either in Hindi or English. It is conducted with the aim to assess the written capacity of the candidate. This involves writing an elaborate essay of about 200-250 words and drafting a letter or an application of about 150-200 words.
Tier III exam pattern:
This is a skill test like the typing and computer proficiency test. This is the final step needed to qualify for the selection to the clerical posts in various Government organizations. This is a 15 minute test and it evaluates the ability to type 2000 depressions in a 15 minute time duration.Study detailed SSC CHSL Syllabus
SSC CHSL Section Wise Tips:
To prepare for the English Language, you need to concentrate on topics like Spot the Error, Cloze Passage, Reading Comprehension, Idioms & Phrases, Active/Passive voice of verbs etc. The best way to manage the English is by getting a clear understanding of the basic grammar rules. Moreover, you can also follow these daily habits
- Read English Newspaper every day to improve your vocabulary
- Play word games and word search puzzles
- Go through all basics of grammar and maintain notes of grammar rules
This section will include topics like Arithmetic, Number Systems, Percentages, Ratio and Proportion etc. To ace this section, one needs to brush up and improve their basic Arithmetic skills. Speed plays an important role in this section. To improve your speed, you can follow the below s.
- Memorize Mullication tables up to 25
- Remember the list of squares and cubes from 1 to 25
- Learn the common percentages and their fractional & decimal equivalents
General Intelligence section comprises of questions from both verbal and non-verbal type. This section is usually time-consuming. You need to keep an eye on your accuracy as well as speed for this section. Get these daily habits implemented to score more in this section.
- Practice different kinds of questions
- Focus on high scoring topics
- Practice 100s of puzzles
Questions are designed to test the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person.
- Analyze previous year question papers
- Read newspapers regularly
Last minute tips for SSC CHSL:
The last week before the exam is always crucial as you can develop the correct mindset that is required to crack the exam. Here are some tips to help you crack this exam.
- Revise in a smart way: A week before the exam you would have finished preparing for the exam. Now it is time to revise whatever you have studied. This has to be done meticulously and carefully. While revising the topics with more weight age should be given more importance. The tricks and formulas that can be used to quickly solve questions especially General intelligence and Quantitative aptitude should be revised and be thorough with them. Learn and revise all the tricks. While revising it is advisable to do it section wise so that everything is covered. Do not study any new topic now at this point. Just revise what is already studied and those topics that you have a strong foundation. General awareness, English language can be revised so that you will crack these sections with ease.Also practice previous year SSC CHSL Question Paper
- Take mock tests: This is very important as it help you in developing good speed and accuracy. In SSC CHSL exam it is advisable to answer maximum questions in the given time and with maximum accuracy. This demands good speed. To achieve this practice is the only solution. Answer as many mock tests or solve previous year question papers. After doing so analyze where you stand. Then develop strategies and tricks to solve certain questions. After all the corrective strategies are taken into consideration, then take more mock tests and compare your score with the previous year cut off. This is the best way to know where you stand and also to develop good speed and accuracy.
- Plan your move: Be confident as you appear for the exam. Devise strategies that will help you tackle the exam easily. Attempt those questions first which are easy and have more weight age. Finish them within few seconds.
- Be relaxed: As exams are very closely approaching stay relaxed. Learn some relaxation exercise to keep yourself calm and composed. Sleep well and do some yoga to exercise your brain.
- Skip questions: This is an important trick you have to learn. If you do not know an answer, do not waste time with that question. Learn how to skip it and go for the next question. Do not even waste a single minute as you have to answer 100 questions in 75 minutes. Spend the last few minutes in the exam reviewing questions which are left without attempting.
SSC CHSL exam is a competitive exam. Prepare well and crack the exam with relaxed mind. Be confident and stay positive and you can definitely excel in it.